Air conditioners are nothing less than a necessity today, and if you are on a hunt for the quietest window air conditioner, then you have entered the right place. You have likely experienced the disturbance and irritation caused by a noisy air conditioner when you have your much-needed rest.
Noisy air conditioners can cause sleep troubles and disturbed, or improper sleep can affect your health. Therefore, you must have an air conditioner that does not wake you up in the middle of the night or make your guests feel awkward about their noisy room.
Another reason to choose a quiet window air conditioner is that with these air conditioners you get higher cooling capacity than the regular air conditioners at the same or even lower price than wall mount air conditioners, which means higher and much better cooling at a lower price.
Window air conditioners have other benefits like they are energy and cost-efficient; additionally, window air conditioners are portable and easy to install & replace compared to wall mount air conditioners.
How to choose a quietest window air conditioner
For selecting the quiet window air conditioner, it is important to factor in all the various components that determine how much noise can be dampened and controlled. The most common way in which air conditioners reduce the overall noise level and keep the noise to the lowest and sometimes nonexistent is by using quieter compressors and extra insulation pads.
- Noise Level: An air conditioner has to be under 55 dB to be considered as a quiet window air conditioner. DB or Decibels is the measurement unit of the loudness of sound present in the air that can be perceived by the human ear. Choosing a lower dB level air conditioner is important as even a minor increase in dB level can produce a noticeable difference in sound. For example, any sound at 70 dB unit is double than the same sound at 60 dB unit, the difference is only 10 dB, but it results in a louder sound.
- BTU Unit: BTU stands for British Thermal Units; it signifies the amount of heat the unit can remove from the air per hour. The BTU is calculated by BTU/ per hour. Unlike dB, an air conditioner with a higher BTU unit is considered a better air conditioner. A great tip for buying a window air conditioner is to buy a higher BTU power air conditioner than the one you require.
- Room Size: The size of the room plays the most significant part in deciding the right unit of air conditioner needed for a noise-free cooling. Every range of BTU unit has a maximum cooling capacity. Thus, you must select the right BTU unit for your window air conditioner. For better understanding here’s a chart with BTU units and their maximum cooling area:
- 5000 BTU: 150 sq. ft.
- 6000 BTU: 200 sq. ft.
- 8000 BTU: 300 sq. ft.
- 10000 BTU: 350 sq. ft.
- 12000 BTU: 400 sq. ft.
- 18000 BTU: 600 sq. ft.
- 25000 BTU: 900 sq. ft.
- Room Type: Choosing how many BTU units you need also depends on the type of room. For example, kitchens and bedrooms need higher BTU units than a living room or study. Another factor in this is the number of room occupants. The ideal BTU unit chart is usually made for two people, and therefore, for every additional person in the room, you need to add 500-600 BTU unit for efficient cooling.
- Energy Efficiency Ratio: One important factor to consider when buying a window air conditioner is the Energy Efficiency Ratio. It is the ratio of output cooling energy to input electric energy at a given output point. A good EER rating is 12 or above, and however, when comparing two different devices, a higher EER rating is considered the best.
- CFM Power: CFM means the cubic feet per minute; it is a measurement unit used to determine the velocity of airflow into or out of space. Higher CFM in air conditioner means a higher range of airflow and higher cooling.
- Multi-Functionality: Modern window air conditioners are designed to serve multiple functionalities. As opposed to traditional window air conditioners that only served in the summers for cooling purposes, modern window air conditioners can be used throughout the year in all weather conditions. Along with using the air conditioner to fight the summer heat and cool your house, you can use your air conditioner to dehumidify and heat the room as per your comfort. Additionally, you can use the air conditioner as an air filter as they come equipped with anti-microbial air filters to ensure clean and fresh air in your home.
- Extra features: Well, features are the selling point of any product, in addition to noise reduction, you would also need an air conditioner that is easy to operate and offers a lot of features.
After thorough consideration, we have prepared a list of window air conditioners that operate at a low noise level.
Quietest Window Air Conditioners to Buy
Haier Serenity ESAQ406T 6000 BTU
The number one pick on this list of quietest window air conditioners is the Haier Serenity ESAQ406T 6000 BTU unit 115V window air conditioner that guarantees an ultra-quiet sound package. This air conditioner has a compressor blanket for noise dampening, two fan airflow system for quick airflow, and a dual-motor design for higher cooling. All of this makes it possible for the air conditioner to perform as low as 44dB units.
- An ultra-quiet operation that reduces the overall noise from compression
- Modern features like dual motor
- Best overall performance
- Easy installation
- Only 6000 BTU units, not quite applicable for a large kitchen, living room, or bedroom.
This air conditioner is ideal for a small bedroom or a study. You will get the best result out this air conditioner in a room size small than 200 sq. ft.
LG LW1216ER 12000 BTU
The LG LW121ER has earned a very reputed spot on this list of quiet window air conditioners. This 12000 BTU unit window mount air conditioner is suitable for a room up to 550 sq. ft. This quiet air conditioner can perform as quiet as 53 dB units in low mode.
LW1216ER is a very powerful machine that’s loaded with innovative features. It is better to buy a heavier compressor than your standard room size as you get faster and better cooling in less time.
This window air conditioner is easy to install and gives a higher value of return when compared to its competition.
- Washable filters and filter change reminder
- 53 dB quiet operation
- Reliable brand and guaranteed after-sales services
- Consumes more energy This air conditioner is best utilized when used in a room size of 400-500 sq. ft. with two to three occupants.
Koldfront WAC25001W 25000 BTU
Another high-performance, low noise window air conditioner on this list is from Koldfront. This particular model WAC25001W by Koldfront is one of the most trusted window air conditioners in the market till now. This air conditioner has a total of 25000 BTU that allows it to cool up to 1500 sq. ft of area.
One of the most advanced features of this air conditioner is the 16000 BTU heater that can easily heat an area up to 700 sq. ft. This air conditioner is best suited for a very large room or an open area studio.
25000 BTU window air conditioner is sufficient to cool 1500 sq. ft of area. You should consider this if it meets your needs.
- Portability and ease of installation
- Washable air filters
- Long range airflow
- Heavy energy consumption
- Lower Energy Efficiency Ratio compared to other heavy BTU quiet window air conditioners
The air conditioner is best utilized in a studio or open apartment setting. This window air conditioner is an amazing choice for supplemental cooling and year-round use.
LG LW8016ER 8000 BTU
LG has made a mark by earning itself the second spot on this list. The LG LW8016ER is an ultra-quiet window air conditioner made to perfection. This model from LG has 8000 BTUs that can cool up to an area of 340 sq. ft. The noise reduction on this air conditioner makes it possible for the air conditioner to operate as low as dB reading of 52 dBa.
This LG model is a viable option for bedroom, study room, office and a small kitchen area. Plus, you can always rely on LG for a first-class after-sales service.
- Best cooling at 8000 BTU
- Easy to install, comes with an installation guide.
- cost-efficient with an EER rating of 12.1
- No LED display on the remote.
LG LW8016ER is a reliable window air conditioner that offers great value for money with its quiet operation and high EER rating.
Frigidaire FGRQ0833U1 8000 BTU
Operating at 44 dBa, the Frigidaire FGRQ0833U1 is one of the quietest window air conditioners in this list. This Frigidaire window mount air conditioner has 8000 BTU that can ideally cool an area of 350 sq. ft. This air conditioner also houses a dehumidifier that works at 1.7 Pints per hour.
When it comes to quiet air conditioning this air model is a champion compared to other brands as even the highest noise level on this air conditioner is 51 dB. The CFM range of this air conditioner is 126 and 200 for low and high speeds respectively. Another great feature of this air conditioner is the Anti-Bacterial Mash that keeps the inflow air clear and bacteria-free.
- Anti- Bacterial Mash
- 44 dBa operation, one of the lowest
- Portable and easy to install
- Fast cooling
- No clear air Ionizer
- Quite bland design
If quiet air conditioning is the only priority for you then this model is your best choice. Even in fast mode, the air conditioner operates at 51 dBa level which itself is quieter than the lowest noise level of some other brands. This air conditioner is ideal for study room and offices.
Friedrich EP18G33B 18000 BTU: Ultra Quiet Window Air Conditioner
Friedrich EP18G33B is a combination of cooling and comfort, this ultra-quiet window air conditioner is equipped with a powerful 18000 BTU of cooling capacity that can easily cool area up to a 1000 sq. ft. The highlight of this window air conditioner is the ultra-quiet operation that reduces the compression noise to the lowest.
The air conditioner unit comes equipped with anti-microbial filters with an air filter alert that maintains the air quality and keeps it clean and fresh. One unique feature of this air conditioner is continuous auto air sweep louvers that oscillate automatically to the left and right to cover a wider area.
- Automatic louvers that can quickly cool a much broader area
- Easy to install and operate
- Special ultra-quiet air conditioning
- Bland design, the air conditioner design looks outdated and doesn’t have a strong appeal.
Friedrich is a century-old brand that is known for innovation and customer satisfaction. They are trusted for the great quality of products and sales services they provide. You can definitely buy this air conditioner without any doubt.
Emerson Quiet Kool EARC8RSE1 8000 BTU
Emerson Quiet Kool EARC8RSE1 is the most advance window air conditioner in the list, loaded with modern features like 8-way air cooling and smart controls that are compatible with Wi-Fi, Google Assistant, and Amazon Alexa.
This air conditioner is powered by an 8000 BTU cooling that can quietly cool an area of 350 sq. ft. As far as the energy consumption of this air conditioner is concerned, this window air conditioner only consumes 115v when powered on.
- Quiet operation
- EER rating of 12.0
- Powerful 8000 BTU cooling
- Smartphone compatibility with Wi-Fi, Google Assistant, and Amazon Alexa
- Higher dB rating in comparison to other window air conditioners of the same BTU cooling.
Emerson Quiet Kool is famous among its users as the quiet air conditioning brand. The EARC8RSE1 is an amazing air conditioner to consider if you are looking for something that has noise reduction capabilities combined with the latest available features.
HomeLabs 5000 BTU
The HomeLabs 5000 BTU air conditioner is the most compact option in this list of quiet room window air conditioners. This 5000 BTU cooling capacity window air conditioner gets its portability due to its compact design.
Suitable for small dorms, bedrooms, kitchen, and study this window air conditioner provides fast and noiseless cooling in 15 minutes or less. It comes with a washable antibacterial filter that keeps the air fresh, clean, and micro bacteria-free. HomeLabs window air conditioner has an energy-efficient rating of 11.1.
- Compact design for a small room or 150 sq. ft. area
- Cools the entire room in less than 15 minutes
- Dual cooling settings
- Covers only 150 sq. ft. area
Not everyone needs an 18000 BTU cooling, and some people only need to cool a small room. HomeLabs 5000 is made just for that application, and it is the most preferred window air conditioner for RVs, dorms, or study room. If you want a portable air conditioner that is easy to install and relocate, then this is the one.
Frigidaire FRA054XT7 5000 BTU
The quiet Frigidaire has earned another spot on the list, this time for a compact window air conditioner. The Frigidaire FRA054XT7 is ergonomically designed for quiet and compact air conditioning in small areas.
This model of Frigidaire has 5000 BTU cooling capacity and a CFM number of 124 with an Energy Efficiency Ratio of 11.2. This means that this air conditioner is both powerful and cost-efficient.
Some other features of this quiet window ac are temperature control, energy save function, and a 24-hour timer.
The unit comes equipped with an antimicrobial air filter that keeps the room odors, bacteria, and other harmful particles in control.
- Advance and useful features
- Low cost of operation
- Powerful compressor
- Only has two speeds on the fan
- Low CFM range compared to other window air conditioners
When it comes to compact and small air conditioners, only a few brands do it as quietly as Frigidaire. This model is a perfect example of a compact air conditioner done right. It is robust and produces almost no noise when operational.
Keystone KSTAW06A 6000 BTU
The last, but not least is the Keystone KSTAW06A window air conditioner. It has a total cooling capacity of 6000 BTU and comes with a noise dampened operation and air-cooling capacity of 147 CPM.
The air conditioner draws 115v power to cool an area up to 250 sq. ft. For effortless control, this quietest window ac comes with electronic controls with an LED display along with a follow me the remote control. The unit also has smart features like temperature sensing, full control follows me, and washable air mesh filter.
- Easy to install in tight space
- Energy efficient
- Powerful compressor and insulation
- Not ideal for big rooms
Suitable for RVs, dorms, study, small bedroom, or kitchen this quiet window air conditioner is a safe option for first-time buyers. You can also buy this window air conditioner if you are looking for something in a budget.
Buying an air conditioner might seem like an easy job, but it needs some thinking. After all, it is a substantial spend, and it is wise to consider all the options and guarantee your satisfaction before you buy it. We hope that now you are ready to buy the best window air conditioner that meets your needs and demands.